Methodism in Colley Gate has a history spanning more than 150 years, with a small group meeting in the stables of the White Lion Pub (now The Little Chop House).
The first church was opened in 1856 and affiliated to the Methodist New Connexion. In 1868, the first school room was built, however it soon became too small. The second school room was built in 1886 and although looking its age, is still in existence. 1925 saw the third and present school building opened. In 1927, the new building had a dual purpose, serving as Sunday School and Church. The 1856 Church was demolished in the 1960s; the site still belonging to the Methodist Church.
1963 saw the vision of the 1925 Trustees realised, with the opening of the present Providence Methodist Church. The Name Stone "Providence" from the 1856 building, was incorporated in the 1962 building.